Is Boston Fern Toxic to Cats?

Many people enjoy having Boston ferns (Nephrolepis exaltata) as houseplants because they are attractive and relatively easy to care for. However, some plant experts caution that Boston ferns may be toxic to cats if they eat the leaves. Symptoms of toxicity in cats include drooling, vomiting, and diarrhea.

If you have a Boston fern and a cat, it is important to monitor your pet’s behavior around the plant and seek medical attention if you notice any changes in their health.

Boston ferns are not toxic to cats, but they can be a choking hazard. If your cat ingests Boston fern leaves, they may experience vomiting and diarrhea. If you suspect your cat has eaten Boston fern leaves, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Is Boston Fern Toxic to Cats

No, Boston ferns are not toxic to cats. In fact, they are often recommended as safe houseplants for homes with pets. While the plant does contain some toxins that can cause vomiting and diarrhea if ingested in large quantities, these symptoms are typically not severe and will resolve on their own.

If you are concerned about your cat ingesting any part of the plant, it is best to consult with your veterinarian.

What are the Symptoms of Toxicity in Cats

There are many signs that a cat may be suffering from toxicity, but the most common and obvious symptoms are vomiting and diarrhoea. Other signs include lethargy, loss of appetite, excessive thirst or urination, tremors, seizures and collapse. If you suspect your cat has ingested something toxic, it is important to seek veterinary treatment immediately as some substances can cause serious harm or even death.

How Can I Prevent My Cat from Eating Boston Ferns

If you’re looking to prevent your cat from eating Boston ferns, there are a few things you can do. First, consider keeping the ferns out of reach by placing them on high shelves or in hanging baskets. You can also try spraying the ferns with a mild deterrent like lemon water or diluted vinegar.

Finally, make sure your cat has plenty of other toys and plants to nibble on so she doesn’t get bored and turn to the ferns out of desperation.

Are Boston Ferns Poisonous to Pets?


Boston ferns are a popular houseplant, but many people don’t realize that they can be toxic to cats. The ferns contain a compound called saponin, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea if ingested by your cat. If you have a Boston fern in your home, make sure to keep it out of reach of your furry friend!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top