Is Bristly Greenbrier Toxic to Cats?

Yes, bristle greenbrier is toxic to cats. All parts of the plant are poisonous, but the berries are the most dangerous. If a cat eats just a few of these berries, they can experience vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain.

In severe cases, eating bristle greenbrier can lead to liver failure and death.

If you have a cat, you may be wondering if bristly greenbrier is toxic to them. The answer is yes, bristly greenbrier can be toxic to cats if they eat it. Symptoms of toxicity include vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, and weakness.

If your cat ingests any part of this plant, it’s important to seek veterinary care immediately.

Is Bristly Greenbrier Toxic to Cats

No, bristly greenbrier is not toxic to cats. This plant is a member of the gourd family and is related to watermelons, cucumbers, and squash. The berries of the bristly greenbrier are actually edible for humans and are often used in pies or jams.

However, the plants sharp thorns can be dangerous for pets if they try to eat it.

How Can I Keep My Cat Safe from Bristly Greenbrier

If you’re a cat owner, chances are you’re always looking for ways to keep your furry friend safe and healthy. One plant that can pose a threat to cats is Bristly Greenbrier (Smilax hispida). Also known as Cat’s Claw, this climbing vine is native to the southeastern United States and typically grows in wooded areas.

The plant gets its name from the sharp, curved thorns that line its stems. These thorns can cause serious injury to cats if they get caught on them. In addition, the plant contains toxins that can make your cat sick if ingested.

If you have Bristly Greenbrier growing on your property or in your neighborhood, take measures to keep your cat away from it. If possible, remove the plant entirely. If removal isn’t an option, try covering the area with chicken wire or another type of fencing material to prevent access.

You should also educate yourself and others in your household about the dangers of this plant so that everyone can be on the lookout for it.

What are the Symptoms of Bristly Greenbrier Toxicity in Cats

There are a few different symptoms of Bristly Greenbrier toxicity in cats. The most common symptom is vomiting, which can occur within a few hours of ingestion. Other symptoms include lethargy, drooling, anorexia, and abdominal pain.

In more severe cases, seizures and kidney failure have been reported. If you think your cat has ingested any part of a Bristly Greenbrier plant, it is important to seek veterinary care immediately as these plants can be very toxic to cats.

Smilax tamnoides (Smilacaeae) bristly greenbrier


No, bristly greenbrier is not toxic to cats. However, the plant can cause irritation if your cat rubs against it or ingests it. If you have this plant in your home, make sure to keep it out of reach of your furry friend.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top