Is Broom Hickory Toxic to Cats?

Broom hickory is a tree that is native to the eastern United States. It is related to the walnut tree and can grow to be up to 100 feet tall. The leaves of the broom hickory are alternate, simple, and oblong with serrated margins.

The flowers are greenish-yellow and appear in April or May. The fruit is a nut that is enclosed in a husk. Broom hickory trees are often used as ornamental plants due to their attractive foliage and nuts.

While broom hickory trees are not toxic to cats, the nuts can be dangerous if ingested. If your cat eats a broom hickory nut, they may experience gastrointestinal upset including vomiting and diarrhea. In severe cases, ingestion of broom hickory nuts can lead to obstruction of the intestines.

If you think your cat has eaten a broom hickory nut, contact your veterinarian immediately for treatment recommendations.

There is some debate over whether or not broom hickory is toxic to cats. Some believe that it is, while others believe that it is not. The truth may lie somewhere in the middle.

While there have been no reports of cats becoming ill from eating broom hickory, it is possible that the plant could be toxic if consumed in large quantities. If you are concerned about your cat’s safety, it is best to err on the side of caution and keep them away from this plant.

Is Broom Hickory Toxic to Cats

No, broom hickory is not toxic to cats.

How Can I Tell If My Cat Has Been Poisoned by Broom Hickory

If your cat has been poisoned by Broom Hickory, there are several symptoms you may see. These include vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, weakness, seizures, and death. If you notice any of these symptoms in your cat, it is important to take them to the vet immediately.

There is no specific test for Broom Hickory poisoning in cats, so the diagnosis will be based on the symptoms and history of exposure. Treatment will typically involve giving your cat fluids and supportive care.

What Should I Do If I Think My Cat Has Been Poisoned by Broom Hickory

If you think your cat has been poisoned by Broom Hickory, it is important to seek professional medical help immediately and bring them to the vet. If you have the plant material that they may have ingested, it is helpful to bring this with you or take a picture of it. Blood may need to be taken for clotting tests and to assess for anemia.

Treatment will be based on the severity of the toxicity and may include decontamination (such as induced vomiting or gastric lavage), supportive care (such as fluid therapy) and specific antidotes if available.

If It Were Not Filmed No One Would Believe It


No, broom hickory is not toxic to cats. This hardy tree is actually a member of the walnut family, and its nuts are safe for cats to eat. However, the leaves and bark of the tree can be toxic to cats if they eat them in large quantities.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top