Is Callistemon Viminalis Toxic to Cats?

There are a lot of flowers that are safe for cats, but there are also some that are toxic. Callistemon viminalis, also known as the bottlebrush plant, is one of those toxic plants. If your cat ingests any part of this plant, it could result in vomiting, diarrhea, and even death.

No, Callistemon viminalis is not toxic to cats. This plant is actually safe for both pets and humans, so you don’t have to worry about your kitty getting sick if they nibble on a leaf or two.

What are the Symptoms of Callistemon Toxicity in Cats

One of the most common symptoms of Callistemon toxicity in cats is vomiting. Other symptoms may include diarrhea, lethargy, and lack of appetite. In severe cases, Callistemon toxicity can lead to kidney failure and death.

If you suspect your cat has ingested Callistemon, contact your veterinarian immediately.

How Does Callistemon Toxicity Affect Cats

Callistemon toxicity in cats is characterized by vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia, and lethargy. In severe cases, seizures and death may occur. The toxic principle in Callistemon is unknown, but it is thought to be due to the plant’s essential oils.

Treatment of Callistemon toxicity in cats is typically symptomatic and supportive.

What is the Prognosis for Cats With Callistemon Toxicity

Callistemon toxicity is a relatively rare condition that can occur in cats if they ingest the plant material. The most common symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy. In more severe cases, neurological signs such as tremors or seizures may be seen.

Treatment is typically supportive care and the prognosis is generally good with most cats making a full recovery within a few days.

How Can I Prevent My Cat from Coming into Contact With Callistemon Plants

If you’re concerned about your cat coming into contact with Callistemon plants, there are a few things you can do to prevent it. First, keep the plant out of reach by placing it on a high shelf or in a room that your cat doesn’t have access to. You can also cover the plant with wire mesh or netting to make it inaccessible.

Finally, make sure to keep the plant well-watered so that your cat isn’t tempted to drink from it.

February 2022 Lunch & Learn – What You Plant Matters


No, Callistemon viminalis is not toxic to cats. This Australian native plant is actually quite safe for felines, as well as dogs and humans. The leaves and stems of the plant contain a chemical called callitrins, which have been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties.

In fact, some veterinarians recommend this plant for cats with allergies or respiratory problems.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top