Is Choke Cherry Toxic to Cats?

Choke cherry (Prunus virginiana) is a deciduous tree that is native to North America. The tree can grow up to 15 feet tall and has small, white flowers. The fruit of the choke cherry is a dark-red drupe that is about 1/2 inch in diameter.

Choke cherries are often used in jams and jellies. Although choke cherries are not toxic to humans, they can be toxic to cats. The pits of the fruit contain cyanogenic glycosides, which can release cyanide when they are ingested.

Cyanide is a poison that can cause respiratory failure and death. Cats are more susceptible to cyanide poisoning than humans because they lack the enzyme that breaks down cyanogenic glycosides.

No, choke cherry is not toxic to cats. However, the pits and stems of the choke cherry can be toxic if ingested, so it’s important to keep these away from your cat. If you think your cat has eaten any part of a choke cherry, contact your vet immediately.

Chokecherry Poisoning Symptoms

Chokecherry poisoning usually occurs when cows eat the leaves, twigs, and fruit of the chokecherry tree. Symptoms of chokecherry poisoning include: loss of appetite, weakness, colic, diarrhea, excessive thirst, labored breathing, and death. In severe cases, cows may also experience convulsions and coma.

If you think your cow has ingested chokecherry leaves or fruit, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Is Choke Cherry Toxic to Cats?


Is Chokecherry Toxic to Cats?

Yes, chokecherry is toxic to cats. The plant contains cyanogenic glycosides, which release cyanide when chewed or ingested. Cyanide is poisonous to all mammals and can cause death in large quantities.

Symptoms of cyanide poisoning include difficulty breathing, bright red gums, dilated pupils, weakness and collapse. If you think your cat has eaten chokecherry, call your veterinarian or local animal hospital immediately.

Are Chokecherries Toxic to Animals?

Chokecherries are a type of cherry that is native to North America. The fruit is small and red, and the tree grows to about 15 feet tall. Chokecherries are not poisonous to animals, but they can be dangerous if eaten in large quantities.

The pits of the chokecherry contain cyanide, which can be toxic if consumed in large amounts. Symptoms of cyanide poisoning include headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, confusion, and respiratory failure. If you think your animal has eaten a large quantity of chokecherries, please contact your veterinarian or local emergency clinic immediately.

Is Choke Cherry Poisonous?

Yes, choke cherry is poisonous. All parts of the plant contain cyanogenic glycosides, which release cyanide when metabolized. Cyanide is a highly toxic chemical that can cause respiratory failure and death.

Symptoms of cyanide poisoning include headache, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, rapid breathing, convulsions and coma. Treatment involves immediate administration of an antidote (such as amyl nitrite or hydroxocobalamin) followed by supportive care.

What Animals Eat Choke Cherries?

Choke cherries (Prunus virginiana) are a type of wild cherry that grows throughout North America. These small, tart fruits are an important food source for many animals, including bears, deer, birds, and small mammals. Bears are one of the biggest consumers of choke cherries.

They eat both the fruit and the leaves of the plant, which contain high levels of vitamins A and C. In fact, choke cherries make up a significant part of a bear’s diet in some areas. Deer also enjoy eating choke cherries. The fruits provide them with much-needed nutrients during the winter months when other food sources are scarce.

Birds such as cedar waxwings and robins also eat large quantities of these berries. Small mammals like squirrels and chipmunks also consume choke cherries. The fruits give them energy and help them to survive the cold winter months.

What flowers are TOXIC to cats? (and which are safe!) – Cat Lady Fitness


Choke cherry trees (Prunus virginiana) are common in the eastern United States, and their fruit is often used in pies, jams, and syrups. But did you know that choke cherries are actually toxic to cats? The toxicity of choke cherries comes from a chemical called cyanogenic glycosides.

These chemicals can release cyanide gas when they’re metabolized, and cyanide gas is very poisonous. Symptoms of cyanide poisoning include difficulty breathing, weakness, convulsions, and death. Fortunately, it takes a lot of choke cherries to poison a cat.

So unless your kitty ate an entire pie or something similar, they should be just fine. If you’re worried about your cat’s health after they’ve eaten some choke cherries, contact your veterinarian right away.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top