Is Cilantro Toxic to Cats?

Cilantro is a popular herb that is used in many different cuisines around the world. It has a distinctive flavor that some people love and others find to be very strong and unpleasant. While cilantro is generally considered to be safe for cats, there are some reports of it causing gastrointestinal distress in felines.

Cilantro, or Coriandrum sativum, is a popular herb used in many cuisines around the world. It has a strong, pungent flavor and is often used as a garnish or flavoring agent. While cilantro is safe for people to eat, it can be toxic to cats.

The main compound in cilantro that is toxic to cats is called apiole. Apiole is an essential oil that gives cilantro its characteristic smell and flavor. In small amounts, apiole is not harmful to cats.

However, consuming large amounts of cilantro can lead to gastrointestinal upset and vomiting. In severe cases, apiole toxicity can cause liver damage and death. While there is no known cure for apiole toxicity, prompt treatment by a veterinarian can help reduce the severity of symptoms and improve the chances of recovery.

If you suspect your cat has eaten cilantro, contact your vet immediately.

-No, Cilantro is Not Toxic to Cats

Cilantro is not toxic to cats and can actually be beneficial for them. This plant contains an antioxidant called quercetin, which can help protect cells from damage. It also has anti-inflammatory properties that may help relieve pain and swelling.

Cats typically don’t eat cilantro on its own, but if they nibble on it while you’re cooking with it, there’s no need to worry.

However, Some Cats May Be Sensitive to the Herb And Experience Gastrointestinal Upset If They Consume Large Amounts of It

If you have a cat that loves to nibble on plants, you may be wondering if catnip is safe for them to consume. While catnip is non-toxic to cats, however, some may be sensitive to the herb and experience gastrointestinal upset if they consume large amounts of it. The active ingredient in catnip is nepetalactone, which is a feline attractant.

When cats sniff or ingest this compound, it causes a mild reaction that includes drooling, head rolling, and temporary hyperactivity. For most cats, these effects are harmless and wear off after about 15-30 minutes. However, some cats may be more sensitive to nepetalactone and can experience vomiting and diarrhea after consuming catnip.

If your kitty experiences any of these symptoms after eating catnip, it’s best to discontinue giving it to them and consult with your veterinarian.

Plants That Are Toxic to Cats!!


No, cilantro is not toxic to cats. However, some cats may be allergic to it. If your cat is allergic to cilantro, they may experience symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, and difficulty breathing.

If you think your cat is allergic to cilantro, contact your veterinarian.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top