Is Common Privet Toxic to Cats?

Common privet (Ligustrum vulgare) is a shrub that is often used as a hedge or border plant in landscaping. It is also known as wild privet or European privet. This plant is native to Europe and Asia but has been introduced to North America and other parts of the world.

Common privet can grow to be 10-15 feet tall and 6-8 feet wide. The leaves are dark green, glossy, and oval shaped with pointed tips. The flowers are small, white, and borne in clusters.

The berries are black when ripe and contain a single seed. All parts of the common privet plant are toxic to cats if ingested.

There is some debate over whether or not common privet (Ligustrum vulgare) is toxic to cats. Some sources claim that the plant can be poisonous to felines if ingested, while others say it is safe. The best way to err on the side of caution is to keep your cat away from common privet, as ingestion may lead to gastrointestinal upset.

If you suspect your cat has eaten any part of this plant, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Is Privet Poisonous to Cats

If you have a cat, you may be wondering if privet is poisonous to them. The answer is yes, privet is poisonous to cats. Symptoms of poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and seizures.

If you think your cat has eaten privet, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Is Common Privet Toxic to Cats?


Is Common Privet Toxic to Cats

Yes, common privet (Ligustrum vulgare) is toxic to cats. All parts of the plant contain compounds that can cause vomiting, diarrhea, drooling and difficulty swallowing. If your cat ingests any part of this plant, contact your veterinarian or local poison control center immediately.

What are the Symptoms of Privet Toxicity in Cats

Privet toxicity in cats is a very serious condition that can lead to death. The most common symptom of privet toxicity is vomiting, which can occur within minutes to hours after ingestion. Other symptoms include diarrhea, drooling, weakness, tremors, seizures and death.

If you suspect your cat has ingested privet, it is important to seek veterinary care immediately as this condition can be fatal if left untreated.

How Can I Prevent My Cat from Ingesting Privet

If you think your cat may have privet poisoning, take them to the vet immediately. Ingesting privet can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and loss of appetite in cats. If left untreated, it can lead to liver damage and death.

To prevent your cat from ingesting privet, keep the plant out of reach or remove it from your home altogether. If you have privet growing in your yard, make sure your cat cannot access it. Keep an eye on your cat when they are outside and supervise them if they are near any privet plants.

What Should I Do If My Cat Ingests Privet

If your cat ingests privet, the first thing you should do is call your veterinarian. If you have the plant material, bring it with you or take a picture of it so your vet can identify it. Privet is an evergreen shrub that is common in many yards and gardens.

All parts of the plant are poisonous to cats if ingested, and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, weakness, tremors and seizures. Treatment will be based on how much was ingested and how your cat is feeling. Blood work may be done to check for liver damage as privet contains a toxic compound called glycoside aglycones which can cause liver failure.

Your cat may need to be hospitalized for treatment and monitoring.

15 dangerous plants that are toxic to dogs and cats


No, common privet is not toxic to cats. In fact, it is considered to be a safe plant for pets and humans alike.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top