Is Copper Rose Toxic to Cats?

Copper rose is a beautiful flowering plant that is popular in gardens. However, copper rose can be toxic to cats if they eat the leaves or flowers. The toxicity can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy.

If you have a copper rose in your garden, make sure your cat cannot get to it.

Copper rose (Rosa rubiginosa) is a species of rose native to Europe and Asia. It is a deciduous shrub growing to 3 m (9.8 ft) tall. The leaves are pinnate, with five leaflets on each leaflet, the central one being the largest.

The flowers are pink, 5–6 cm (2–2 1⁄4 in) diameter, with four or five petals. The fruit is a hip, containing many seeds. The plant has been introduced to North America, where it is grown as an ornamental plant.

Copper rose is toxic to cats if ingested in large quantities. Symptoms of toxicity include vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy. If you suspect your cat has ingested copper rose, please contact your veterinarian immediately.

Is Copper Rose Toxic to Cats

Copper rose (Rosa rubiginosa) is a species of rose native to Europe, Asia, and northwest Africa. It is a deciduous shrub growing to 2–3 m (7–10 ft) tall with prickly stems. The leaves are pinnate, with 5–9 leaflets on each leaflet 3–6 cm (1¼-2½ in) long and 2–4 cm (¾-1½ in), the terminal leaflet often absent.

The flowers are 4–6 cm (1½-2½ in) diameter, with five pale pink petals; they are produced singly or in small clusters from early summer to autumn. The fruit is a hip 20–30 mm (⅔-1⅛ in) diameter, red ripening blackish-brown. The name “copper rose” refers to the color of the hips, which are rich in vitamin C. Copper rose hips have been used medicinally since the Middle Ages, and were official drugs in both the British and American Pharmacopoeias until 1955.

They contain tannins and other compounds that can be toxic to cats if consumed in large quantities.

What are the Symptoms of Toxicity in Cats

There are a variety of symptoms that may be seen in a cat who has been poisoned or has ingested a toxic substance. These can range from mild to severe and, in some cases, can be life-threatening. The most common signs of toxicity in cats include vomiting, diarrhoea, drooling/ptyalism, abdominal pain, anorexia and lethargy.

More severe signs include seizures, tremors, ataxia (uncoordinated movement), coma and death. If you suspect your cat has ingested a toxin or poison, it is important to seek veterinary advice immediately as treatment will need to be started as soon as possible.

How Can I Prevent My Cat from Being Exposed to Copper Rose

There is no foolproof way to prevent your cat from being exposed to copper rose, as the plant can be found in many household items and gardens. However, there are some things you can do to minimize your cat’s exposure. First, avoid using copper sulfate-based products around your home.

These products are commonly used as fungicides and herbicides, and can be deadly if ingested by cats. Second, keep your cat indoors as much as possible. This will limit their exposure to outdoor plants that may contain copper rose.

Finally, educate yourself on the symptoms of copper poisoning in cats so that you can seek treatment immediately if your cat does become exposed.

What Should I Do If My Cat Has Been Exposed to Copper Rose

If your cat has been exposed to Copper Rose, it is important to seek professional medical help immediately. The sooner you can get your cat treated, the better their prognosis will be. There are a few things that you can do at home to help your cat feel more comfortable while you wait for professional help.

Try to keep them calm and quiet in a dark room with minimal movement and noise. If they are having trouble breathing, provide them with oxygen if possible. Keep an eye on their symptoms and be sure to write them down so that you can accurately relay this information to the veterinarian.

See Which Hotels Were Caught Not Changing Bedsheets for New Guests


Copper rose is a type of plant that is toxic to cats. If a cat ingests this plant, it can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and potentially death. The best way to keep your cat safe is to avoid letting them eat any plants in your home, and to keep copper rose out of your garden.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top