Is Crepe Myrtle Toxic for Cats?

If you have a cat and are thinking about planting crepe myrtle in your yard, you may be wondering if the plant is toxic to cats. The answer is that crepe myrtle is not toxic to cats, and in fact, it can be a good addition to their diet. Crepe myrtle contains vitamins A and C, as well as fiber and antioxidants.

Cats love the taste of crepe myrtle, and it can even help with digestive issues.

If you have a cat that loves to nibble on plants, you may be wondering if crepe myrtle is toxic for cats. While the answer isn’t entirely clear, it seems that consuming small amounts of crepe myrtle leaves is unlikely to cause any serious harm to your feline friend. That said, it’s always best to err on the side of caution when it comes to plant consumption and keep an eye on your cat if they show an interest in munching on crepe myrtle leaves.

If they consume too much, it could lead to vomiting or diarrhoea. So, if you notice your cat nibbling on this plant, be sure to monitor them closely and contact your vet if they show any signs of distress.

Is Crepe Myrtle Poisonous to Humans

Crepe myrtle (Lagerstroemia indica) is a beautiful, flowering tree that is often used as an ornamental plant in gardens and yards. The crepe myrtle is native to Asia and has been introduced to other parts of the world, including North America. The tree grows best in warm climates and can reach heights of up to 30 feet (9 meters).

The crepe myrtle produces small, white flowers that bloom in the summertime. The flowers are followed by small fruits that contain seeds. All parts of the crepe myrtle tree, including the bark, leaves, flowers, and fruits, contain toxins that can be harmful to humans if ingested.

Symptoms of crepe myrtle poisoning include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain. In severe cases, the toxins can cause liver damage or death. If you suspect that someone has ingested any part of a crepe myrtle tree, it is important to seek medical attention immediately.

Is Crepe Myrtle Toxic for Cats?


Are Myrtle Trees Toxic to Cats?

No, myrtle trees are not toxic to cats.

Is Myrtle Poisonous to Pets?

Myrtle (Myrtus communis) is an evergreen shrub that is part of the myrtle family. It grows in Mediterranean countries and has naturalized in many other places around the world. The plant has small, dark green leaves and white or pink flowers.

Myrtle is sometimes used as a decoration or ingredient in food and drinks. The berries of myrtle are poisonous to pets, especially dogs and cats. The toxic compound in the berries is called picrotoxin.

Picrotoxin can cause vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, drooling, tremors, seizures, and death. If your pet eats any part of a myrtle plant, contact your veterinarian or local animal hospital immediately.

What Animals Eat Crepe Myrtle?

Crepe myrtle is a common landscaping shrub in the southern United States. The tree is also known as the Indian jacaranda, Chinese crepe myrtle, and Japanese crepe myrtle. The scientific name for the plant is Lagerstroemia indica.

The leaves are oblong with pointed tips and have a crinkled or wavy appearance. The flowers are small, pink, and borne in clusters. The fruit is a dark purple drupe that ripens in late summer or early fall.

The vast majority of animals do not eat crepe myrtle because it is poisonous to them. However, there are a few exceptions. One example is the white-tailed deer, which will occasionally browse on the young shoots and leaves of the plant.

Another exception is the cottontail rabbit, which will eat the young twigs and buds of the crepe myrtle. These two animals seem to be able to tolerate the toxins in the plant better than most other animals.

Where Should You Not Plant Crepe Myrtles?

There are a few considerations to take into account when deciding where to plant crepe myrtles. First, these trees can get quite large – up to 30 feet tall and 40 feet wide – so make sure you have enough space. They also need full sun and well-drained soil, so avoid shady areas or low-lying spots that stay wet after it rains.

Another thing to keep in mind is that crepe myrtles are deciduous, meaning they’ll lose their leaves in winter. That means they won’t provide much privacy or screening during the colder months, so if that’s what you’re looking for, choose another tree. Finally, be aware that crepe myrtles are susceptible to a variety of pests and diseases, so don’t plant them too close to your home or other valuable plants.

With all that in mind, here are a few specific places where you shouldn’t plant crepe myrtles: 1. Under power lines – These trees can grow quite tall, so planting them under power lines is a bad idea for both aesthetic and safety reasons. 2. In front of windows – Again, the height of these trees can be an issue.

If planted too close to windows, they could block out sunlight or even damage the glass with falling leaves or branches. 3 . Near septic tanks or sewer lines – The roots of crepe myrtles can spread far and wide in search of water, so planting them near underground utilities is asking for trouble down the road.

Q&A – How do I remove crape myrtle without using toxic chemicals?


No, crepe myrtle is not toxic for cats. The ASPCA lists crepe myrtle as non-toxic to both dogs and cats. However, the sap from the tree can be irritating to the skin and stomach, so it’s best to keep your cat away from the tree.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top