Is Cushion Moss Toxic to Cats?

There is a lot of debate on whether or not cushion moss is toxic to cats. Some say that it is, and some say that it isn’t. So, what’s the truth?

Well, unfortunately, there is no clear answer. Different sources will give you different information, and it can be hard to know who to believe. However, there are a few things that we do know for sure.

As most cat owners know, our feline friends like to chew on things. Unfortunately, this can sometimes lead to them ingesting something that’s not good for them. So, is cushion moss toxic to cats?

The answer is yes, cushion moss can be toxic to cats if they ingest it. The main concern with cushion moss is that it contains a substance called thiaminase. This enzyme breaks down thiamine, which is an essential vitamin for cats.

If a cat doesn’t get enough thiamine, it can lead to neurological problems and even death. So, if you have cushion moss in your home, make sure your kitty can’t get to it. And if you think your cat may have ingested some of the plant, take them to the vet right away.

Is Cushion Moss Toxic to Cats

No, cushion moss is not toxic to cats. This plant is often used as a groundcover or in terrariums because it is low-maintenance and can tolerate a wide range of growing conditions. While cushion moss is not poisonous to felines, it can cause gastrointestinal upset if your cat eats a large amount of it.

If you think your pet has eaten too much cushion moss, watch for signs of vomiting or diarrhea and contact your veterinarian right away.

What are the Symptoms of Cushion Moss Toxicity in Cats

Cushion Moss (Toxicodendron diversilobum) is a poisonous plant that can cause severe illness or death in cats if ingested. Symptoms of Cushion Moss toxicity include vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, weakness, tremors, seizures and death. If you suspect your cat has eaten Cushion Moss, contact your veterinarian or emergency animal hospital immediately.

How Can I Prevent My Cat from Eating Cushion Moss

If your cat is eating cushion moss, there are a few things you can do to prevent it. First, try to keep the plant out of reach. If your cat has access to the outdoors, consider fencing off the area where the plant is growing.

You can also try spraying the plant with a bitter-tasting solution to deter your cat from eating it. Finally, make sure you provide your cat with plenty of other food options so that they are not as tempted to eat the cushion moss.

What Should I Do If My Cat Eats Cushion Moss

If your cat eats Cushion Moss, it is important to seek professional medical help immediately as this can be a potentially fatal condition. Cushion Moss contains a compound called thiaminase which breaks down thiamine (vitamin B1) in the body. If left untreated, thiamine deficiency can lead to neurological problems and death.

How To Keep Cats Away From Houseplants | Train Your Cat the Right Way | Pet Safe Plants


No, cushion moss is not toxic to cats. This type of moss is often used in gardens and as ground cover because it is able to withstand heavy foot traffic. It’s also a popular choice for cat owners because it’s safe for their pets to consume.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top