Is Garden Hyacinth Toxic to Cats?

There are many beautiful flowers that we enjoy in our gardens, but did you know that some of them can be toxic to our furry feline friends? Garden hyacinth (Muscari Armeniacum) is one such flower. All parts of this plant are poisonous to cats, and ingestion can lead to gastrointestinal upset, vomiting and diarrhea.

Clinical signs usually appear within 6-12 hours after ingestion and can last for several days. If you suspect your cat has eaten garden hyacinth, please contact your veterinarian or the Pet Poison Helpline immediately for treatment recommendations.

No, garden hyacinth is not toxic to cats. In fact, it’s a pretty popular plant for kitty gardens! The only thing you need to watch out for is the bulb, which can be poisonous if ingested.

So just make sure your kitty doesn’t start nibbling on the bulbs and everything will be fine!

Purple Hyacinth Toxic to Cats

Many people are unaware that purple hyacinths are toxic to cats. The plant contains allergenic lactones which can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and skin irritation in cats. If your cat ingests any part of this plant, it is important to seek veterinary care immediately.

Symptoms of toxicity include drooling, vomiting, tremors, and seizures. In severe cases, the plant can cause death. To prevent your cat from being exposed to this danger, keep purple hyacinths out of your home or yard altogether.

Is Garden Hyacinth Toxic to Cats?


What Happens If a Cat Eats Hyacinth?

If a cat eats hyacinth, the consequences could be serious. The plant contains allantoin, which is toxic to cats and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and even death. If you suspect your cat has eaten any part of a hyacinth, it’s important to take them to the vet immediately.

What Part of the Hyacinth is Poisonous to Cats?

While the entirety of the hyacinth plant is technically poisonous to cats, the bulb is by far the most dangerous part. If your cat ingests even a small amount of hyacinth bulb, it can result in serious health problems such as vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, and difficulty breathing. In severe cases, ingesting hyacinth bulbs can even be fatal.

So if you have a hyacinth plant in your home, be sure to keep it out of reach of your feline friend!

Can Hyacinth Hurt Cats?

If you have a cat, you may be wondering if hyacinth is safe for them. The answer is yes and no. Hyacinths can hurt cats if they eat them, but they are not toxic.

If your cat does eat a hyacinth, they may experience vomiting and diarrhea. In severe cases, they may also have trouble breathing. If you think your cat has eaten a hyacinth, it’s important to take them to the vet right away.

Are Hyacinths And Tulips Poisonous to Cats?

Yes, hyacinths and tulips are poisonous to cats. The bulbs of these flowers contain a toxin called lycorine that can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and even death in cats if ingested. If you suspect your cat has eaten any part of a hyacinth or tulip, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Are Hyacinths Toxic To Cats? Symptoms of Poisoning


There are a lot of plants out there that are toxic to cats, and garden hyacinth is one of them. This plant can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and even death if ingested by a cat. If you have this plant in your home, make sure to keep it away from your feline friend!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top