Honey locust tree is a beautiful flowering plant that can be found in many parks and gardens. Despite its pretty appearance, honey locust is actually toxic for cats. The tree produces a toxin called podophyllin, which can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and even death if ingested by cats.
If you have a honey locust tree in your yard, make sure to keep your cat away from it.
Many people are unaware that honey locust trees are actually toxic to cats. The tree produces a sap that can cause vomiting and diarrhea in cats if they ingest it. In severe cases, the sap can even lead to death.
If you have a honey locust tree in your yard, make sure to keep your cat away from it!
Honey Locust Vs Black Locust
There are two types of locust trees in North America- the honey locust and the black locust. Both are members of the pea family, but they couldn’t be more different. Here’s a look at the key differences between these two trees:
Honey Locust The honey locust is a large, deciduous tree that can grow up to 80 feet tall. It has a spread of 40-60 feet and a trunk diameter of 2-3 feet.
The leaves are compound with each leaflet being 3-4 inches long. The flowers are small and greenish-white, blooming in early summer. The fruit is a dark brown pod that is 6-12 inches long and contains several seeds.
Honeylocusts are drought tolerant and adaptable to a variety of soil types. They’re often used as shade or street trees because of their dense canopy. Black Locust
The black locust is also a large, deciduous tree that can reach heights of 70-100 feet with a trunk diameter of 2-3 feet. The leaves are compound with each leaflet being 1-2 inches long. The flowers are small and white, blooming in late spring or early summer.
The fruit is a dark brown pod that is 4-8 inches long and contains several seeds. Black locusts prefer full sun and well drained soils but they’re very adaptable to different conditions. They’re often used as fence posts or railway ties because they’re very strong and rot resistant.
Are Locust Toxic to Cats?
There are a variety of insects that are commonly referred to as locusts, but the most common type is the short-horned grasshopper. These insects are not toxic to cats. In fact, they are actually a good source of protein for cats and other animals.
While locusts may not be harmful to cats, it is important to note that they can carry diseases that could be dangerous to your pet. If you have any concerns about your cat eating locusts, it is best to consult with your veterinarian.
Are Honey Locust Toxic to Dogs?
There are a variety of opinions on whether or not honey locust trees are toxic to dogs. Some people believe that the pod-like fruit of the honey locust tree is poisonous to dogs, while others believe that only the seeds inside the pods are poisonous. Still, others believe that the entire tree is poisonous to dogs.
The truth is, there is no definitive answer as to whether or not honey locust trees are toxic to dogs. While there have been no reported cases of dogs becoming ill after eating honey locust fruit or leaves, it is always best to err on the side of caution and keep your dog away from this tree. If you suspect your dog has eaten something from a honey locust tree, contact your veterinarian immediately.
Are Locust Trees Toxic?
No, locust trees are not toxic.
Is Honey Locust a Dirty Tree?
Honey locust trees (Gleditsia triacanthos) are considered “dirty” because they produce a lot of litter. Their leaves, pods, and thorns can create a messy environment beneath the tree. In addition, honey locusts are known for being a host plant for numerous pests and diseases.
PFTTOT Part 168 Benefits of Honey Locust
Honey locust trees are not toxic for cats, but the pods and seeds can be harmful if ingested. Cats may be attracted to the sweet taste of honey locusts, but it’s important to keep them away from the pods and seeds as they can cause gastrointestinal distress. If your cat ingests any part of a honey locust tree, please contact your veterinarian immediately.