Lesser Snapdragon is a beautiful flowering plant that is often used in gardens and as houseplants. The flowers are lovely, but the plant is toxic to cats. If your cat ingests any part of this plant, it can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain.
In severe cases, it can lead to tremors, seizures, and death. If you have this plant in your home or garden, make sure your cat cannot get to it.
Many people are unaware that Snapdragon plants can be toxic to cats. The toxicity is caused by a compound called glycoalkaloid, which is found in all parts of the plant. Symptoms of poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, and seizures.
In severe cases, it can lead to death. If you suspect your cat has ingested any part of a Snapdragon plant, call your veterinarian or local poison control center immediately.
Is Lesser Snapdragon Toxic to Cats
No, Lesser Snapdragon is not toxic to cats.
What are the Symptoms of Toxicity in Cats
There are many symptoms of toxicity in cats, and they can vary depending on the substance that your cat has been exposed to. If you suspect that your cat has been poisoned, it is important to seek veterinary care immediately and bring a sample of the poison (if possible) with you. Some common symptoms of toxicity in cats include: vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, drooling, seizures, and difficulty breathing.
If your cat is displaying any of these signs, please do not hesitate to reach out for help.
How Can I Treat My Cat If They Have Ingested Lesser Snapdragon
If your cat has ingested Lesser Snapdragon, the first thing you should do is call your veterinarian. The vet will likely want to induce vomiting and may also give your cat a course of antibiotics. If the plant was growing in an area that has been treated with pesticides, your vet may also recommend giving your cat some fluids to help flush out their system.
In most cases, cats will recover from ingesting Lesser Snapdragon without any long-term effects.
What Should I Do If I Think My Cat Has Been Exposed to Lesser Snapdragon
If you think your cat has been exposed to Lesser Snapdragon, the first thing you should do is call your veterinarian. If your cat is displaying any symptoms of illness, such as vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, or loss of appetite, it is important to seek professional medical care immediately. Even if your cat does not seem ill, it is still a good idea to have him or her checked out by a vet to be sure.
Lesser Snapdragon exposure can cause serious health problems in cats and even death if not treated promptly and properly.
Top 5 Plants Safe for Cats (And 5 To Avoid!)
If you’re wondering if lesser snapdragon is toxic to cats, the answer is unfortunately yes. This plant contains a chemical called saponin, which is poisonous to cats if ingested. Symptoms of toxicity include vomiting, diarrhea, and difficulty breathing.
If you think your cat has eaten any part of this plant, it’s important to seek veterinary care immediately.