Is Miniature Maranta Toxic to Cats?

If you have a cat and are thinking about getting a Miniature Maranta, you may be wondering if the plant is toxic to cats. The good news is that it is not! However, there are a few things to keep in mind when it comes to keeping your feline friend safe around this pretty plant.

If you have a miniature maranta, also known as prayer plant, in your home, you may be wondering if it is safe for your feline friend. The answer is no, miniature maranta is toxic to cats. This plant contains insoluble calcium oxalates which can cause burning and irritation of the mouth and throat, vomiting, and difficulty swallowing.

If ingested in large quantities, it can lead to kidney failure. So keep your kitty away from this pretty plant!

Is Miniature Maranta Toxic to Cats

No, miniature maranta is not toxic to cats. In fact, it is often used as a houseplant because it is safe around pets and children.

What are the Symptoms of Toxicity in Cats

There are a variety of symptoms that may be seen in a cat who has been poisoned or exposed to a toxic substance. These can range from mild to severe, and may even be life-threatening. Some of the more common symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, lack of appetite, lethargy, and weakness.

If you suspect your cat has been poisoned or exposed to something toxic, it is important to seek veterinary care immediately.

How Can I Treat My Cat If They Ingest This Plant

If your cat ingests this plant, the first thing you should do is call your veterinarian. If your cat is having any difficulty breathing, has swollen lips or tongue, or is drooling excessively, these are signs of an allergic reaction and you should take them to the vet immediately. If your cat is not showing any of these symptoms, you can try giving them small amounts of water or milk to drink and see if they throw up the plant material.

If they do not vomit it up within a few hours, or if they start showing any of the above mentioned symptoms, call your vet again.

Should I Be Concerned If My Cat Nibbles on This Plant

If you have a cat that nibbles on plants, there are a few things to consider before deciding whether or not to be concerned. Some plants are poisonous to cats and can cause serious health problems if ingested, so it’s important to know which plants are safe and which ones to avoid. There are also some plants that may not be poisonous but can cause stomach upset or other digestive issues in cats.

If your cat is nibbling on a plant that you’re unsure about, it’s always best to err on the side of caution and consult with your veterinarian.



No, miniature maranta is not toxic to cats. This plant is actually considered to be safe for pets and humans alike. The only thing you need to be aware of is that the leaves can cause mild stomach upset if ingested in large quantities.

If your cat does eat some of the leaves, they may experience vomiting or diarrhea. However, these symptoms are usually not severe and will resolve on their own without treatment.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top