Mistletoe cactus, also known as rhipsalis baccifera, is a common holiday plant. But is it safe for cats? The answer is no.
Mistletoe cactus is toxic to cats and can cause serious health problems if ingested. Symptoms of mistletoe cactus toxicity include vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, lack of appetite, and lethargy. If your cat ingests mistletoe cactus, contact your veterinarian or emergency animal hospital immediately.
Mistletoe cactus (Rhipsalis baccifera) is a popular holiday plant, but did you know that it can be toxic to cats? The stems of the mistletoe cactus are covered in sharp spines, which can cause injury to your cat if they try to nibble on them. The plant also contains a toxic compound called saponin, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea if ingested.
So, if you have a mischievous kitty at home, it’s best to keep this plant out of reach!
Is Mistletoe Cactus Toxic to Cats
No, mistletoe cactus is not toxic to cats.
What are the Symptoms of Mistletoe Cactus Poisoning in Cats
Mistletoe cactus (Echinocereus pectinatus) is a holiday plant that can be toxic to cats if ingested. The symptoms of mistletoe cactus poisoning in cats include vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, lack of appetite, and lethargy. If your cat ingests mistletoe cactus, it is important to seek veterinary care immediately.
How Can I Prevent My Cat from Eating Mistletoe Cactus
If your cat is attracted to mistletoe cactus, there are a few things you can do to prevent them from eating it. One is to keep the plant out of reach, either by keeping it out of the house or by placing it on a high shelf or in a room that your cat does not have access to. Another option is to cover the plant with something that will deter your cat from wanting to eat it, such as aluminum foil or chicken wire.
You can also try spraying the plant with a bitter-tasting deterrent like lemon juice or apple cider vinegar. Finally, make sure you are giving your cat plenty of other things to eat and chew on, such as toys and treats specifically designed for cats, so that they are less likely to be interested in the mistletoe cactus.
What Should I Do If My Cat Eats Mistletoe Cactus
If your cat eats mistletoe cactus, the biggest concern is gastrointestinal upset. Clinical signs of GI upset in cats include vomiting, diarrhea, and decreased appetite. If you see any of these signs in your cat after it has eaten mistletoe cactus, contact your veterinarian right away.
Treatment will likely be supportive care, such as IV fluids to prevent dehydration from the vomiting and diarrhea. In more severe cases, hospitalization may be necessary. Mistletoe cactus (Rhipsalis spp.) is a type of succulent that is commonly used as a holiday decoration.
All parts of the plant are toxic to cats if ingested, but the stem is the most poisonous. The toxins in mistletoe cactus can cause severe GI upset and even death in cats if not treated promptly. So if you have a festive feline friend at home, make sure to keep this plant out of reach!
Rhipsalis baccifera (Mistletoe Cactus) Houseplant Care — 126 of 365
No, mistletoe cactus is not toxic to cats. This plant is actually a succulent, and its leaves are full of water. If your cat nibbles on a leaf, they may get a stomachache, but they will not be harmed.