Is Peacock Plant Toxic to Cats?

No, peacock plant is not toxic to cats. The plant is actually considered safe for most pets, including dogs and cats. However, it’s important to keep in mind that all plants are different and some may be more toxic than others.

If you’re concerned about your pet’s safety, it’s always best to consult with a veterinarian or animal specialist before adding any new plants to your home.

If you have a cat, you may be wondering if the peacock plant is safe for them. The answer is that it depends. Peacock plants can be toxic to cats if they eat the leaves or flowers.

The symptoms of toxicity include vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy. If your cat shows any of these symptoms, take them to the vet immediately.

Is Peacock Plant Toxic to Cats

No, peacock plant is not toxic to cats.

What are the Symptoms of Toxicity in Cats

There are many different symptoms of toxicity in cats, and it can depend on the substance that they have been exposed to. Some general signs that your cat may be experiencing toxicity include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, loss of appetite, and convulsions. If you believe that your cat has been exposed to a toxic substance, it is important to seek veterinary care immediately.

How Do I Treat a Cat That Has Been Poisoned by a Peacock Plant

If you think your cat has been poisoned by a peacock plant, the first thing you should do is call your veterinarian. If it is after hours, call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435. Peacock plants (Caesalpinia gilliesii) are native to South America and have become popular houseplants in the United States.

All parts of the plant are poisonous to cats if ingested, including the seeds, leaves, flowers and stems. The most toxic part of the plant is the seed pod, which can contain up to 40% saponin—a toxic compound that can cause vomiting, diarrhea, drooling and difficulty breathing if swallowed. Symptoms of peacock plant poisoning in cats may include:

Vomiting Diarrhea Drooling/excessive salivation

Difficulty breathing If your cat has any of these symptoms, it is important to seek veterinary care immediately as they can be life-threatening. Treatment will likely involve inducing vomiting to remove any remaining toxins from the stomach and supportive care to treat dehydration and other symptoms.

In severe cases, hospitalization may be necessary.

How Can I Prevent My Cat from Being Poisoned by a Peacock Plant

It is important to be aware of the dangers that peacock plants pose to cats. These plants contain insoluble calcium oxalates which can cause severe mouth and throat irritation, drooling, difficulty swallowing, and vomiting if ingested. Cats may be attracted to the plant’s colorful flowers or leaves, so it is important to keep them out of reach.

If you suspect that your cat has eaten a peacock plant, contact your veterinarian or emergency animal hospital immediately.

Prayer Plant Toxic to Cats? – Is This Really Safe(Answered)


No, peacock plant is not toxic to cats. All parts of the plant are safe for cats to eat.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top