Is Perennial Pea Toxic to Cats?

Perennial peas are a common sight in many gardens. They are beautiful, fragrant flowers that attract bees and other pollinators. However, some people may not realize that these plants can be toxic to cats.

The toxicity is due to a compound called saponins, which is found in the leaves and stems of the plant. If a cat ingests enough of this compound, it can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and even death.

No, perennial pea is not toxic to cats. This plant is actually considered to be safe for both humans and animals. However, as with any plant, it is always best to err on the side of caution and keep it out of reach of pets or small children who might mistake it for a toy or food.

Is Perennial Pea Toxic to Cats?


Is Perennial Pea Toxic to Cats

No, perennial pea is not toxic to cats. All parts of the plant are safe for felines to consume. Perennial pea is a member of the legume family and is related to beans, lentils, and peanuts.

The plant grows in warm climates and has compound leaves with small, white flowers. Perennial peas are often used as ornamental plants in gardens.

What are the Symptoms of Perennial Pea Toxicity in Cats

There are a variety of symptoms that can be seen in cats when they have been poisoned by Perennial Pea. The most common symptom is vomiting, which can range from mild to severe. Other symptoms include diarrhea, lethargy, loss of appetite, and seizures.

In very rare cases, death may occur. If you believe your cat has ingested Perennial Pea, it is important to seek veterinary care immediately as treatment will be required.

How Can I Prevent My Cat from Being Exposed to Perennial Pea

If you’re a cat owner, you may be wondering how you can prevent your feline friend from being exposed to Perennial Pea. This plant is commonly found in gardens and can be dangerous to cats if ingested. Here are some tips on how to keep your kitty safe:

1. Keep Your Cat Indoors One of the best ways to prevent exposure is to keep your cat indoors. This way, they won’t have the opportunity to roam around and come into contact with the plant.

If possible, create a safe outdoor space for them to enjoy so they don’t feel cooped up inside all the time. 2. Monitor Your Cat’s Outdoor Time If you do let your cat outdoors, make sure you monitor their time closely.

If they show interest in a particular plant or area, remove them from the area and distract them with something else. It’s also important to inspect them when they come back inside to make sure they haven’t picked up any unwanted hitchhikers (like fleas).

What Should I Do If I Think My Cat Has Been Poisoned by Perennial Pea

If you think your cat has been poisoned by Perennial Pea, the first thing you should do is call your veterinarian or local emergency animal hospital immediately. Perennial Pea (Lathyrus latifolius) is a type of flowering plant that is native to Europe and Asia. It is sometimes grown as an ornamental plant in gardens.

All parts of the plant are poisonous to cats, including the flowers, seeds, and leaves. Perennial Pea contains various toxic compounds, including lathyrismine and oxalic acid. Symptoms of poisoning from this plant can include vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, tremors, seizures, paralysis, and death.

If your cat has ingested any part of a Perennial Pea plant, it is important to seek professional medical treatment right away.

🐈 53 Plants Toxic to Cats! Houseplants that could kill your cat! 🐈


No, perennial pea is not toxic to cats. Perennial peas are part of the legume family and are safe for cats to eat. Cats may be interested in eating these plants because they contain a high protein content.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top