Is Peruvian Lily Toxic to Cats?

Peruvian lilies (Alstroemeria aurea) are a species of flowering plant in the family Alstroemeriaceae, native to South America. Despite their name, they are not related to true lilies (Liliaceae). They are widely cultivated as ornamental plants and have been introduced to Europe, Australia, and New Zealand.

All parts of the plant contain toxic compounds that can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain in cats if ingested.

If you have a cat, it’s important to know if the plants in your home are safe for them. Many common houseplants can be toxic to cats if they eat them. One plant that is potentially harmful to cats is the Peruvian lily.

Peruvian lilies (Alstroemeria sp.) are part of the Amaryllidaceae family and are native to South America. They’re popular houseplants because of their showy flowers, which come in a variety of colors including pink, orange, yellow, and purple. Although Peruvian lilies are not as toxic as some other plants, they can still cause gastrointestinal upset in cats if ingested.

The symptoms may include vomiting, diarrhea, and drooling. If your cat eats a Peruvian lily, it’s important to watch for these signs and contact your veterinarian if they occur. If you have a cat and want to keep Peruvian lilies in your home, it’s best to keep them out of reach or choose another plant instead.

Is Peruvian Lily Toxic to Cats

No, Peruvian lily is not toxic to cats.

What are the Symptoms of Peruvian Lily Toxicity in Cats

Peruvian lilies (Alstroemeria spp.) are a popular flower often used in bouquets and arrangements, but they can be toxic to cats if ingested. Symptoms of Peruvian lily toxicity include vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, lethargy, and tremors. In severe cases, the toxins can cause kidney failure and death.

If you suspect your cat has eaten a Peruvian lily, contact your veterinarian or emergency animal hospital immediately.

How Can I Prevent My Cat from Being Exposed to Peruvian Lily Toxins

If you have a cat, it’s important to be aware of the dangers of Peruvian lilies. These beautiful flowers can cause serious health problems for your feline friend, even if they just nibble on a leaf or drink the water from the vase. Here’s what you need to know about Peruvian lily toxicity in cats and how to keep your kitty safe.

What are Peruvian Lilies? Peruvian lilies (Alstroemeria sp.) Are a type of flowering plant that is native to South America. There are over 50 different species of Peruvian lilies, all of which are poisonous to cats.

The plants vary in size, with some growing up to 3 feet tall and others only reaching a few inches in height. They have large, showy flowers that come in many different colors including white, pink, yellow, orange, red, and purple. What is the Toxicity Level of Peruvian Lilies?

All parts of the Peruvian lily plant are poisonous to cats if ingested. The toxic principle in these plants is unknown but it is thought that all parts of the plant contain toxins that can cause adverse reactions. The severity of the reaction will depend on how much of the plant was consumed and the individual cat’s sensitivity to the toxin.

In most cases, ingestion of these plants will result in gastrointestinal upset including vomiting and diarrhea. More severe reactions are possible but rarer. In very rare cases, ingesting Peruvian lily toxins can lead to kidney failure and death so it’s important to seek veterinary care immediately if you suspect your cat has eaten any part of these plants.

How Can I Prevent My Cat From Being Exposed To Peruvian Lily Toxins?

Are Lilies Poisonous To Cats?


No, Peruvian lilies are not toxic to cats. In fact, they are actually quite beneficial for them! Cats love to nibble on the leaves and petals of these beautiful flowers, and it can help with their digestion.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top