Is Piggy Back Plant Toxic to Cats?

I was reading online about piggy back plant and noticed that some people were saying it is toxic to cats. I have a cat, so I wanted to find out if this was true. I did some research and found out that piggy back plant is not toxic to cats.

However, the sap from the plant can be irritating to their skin. If your cat ingested any of the sap, they may experience vomiting and diarrhea. If you are concerned about your cat’s health, please contact your veterinarian.

Piggy back plant (Tradescantia fluminensis) is a common houseplant that is potentially toxic to cats if ingested. The plant contains saponins, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea in cats. If your cat ingests this plant, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Is Piggy Back Plant Toxic to Cats

There are a variety of plants that are toxic to cats if ingested, and piggy back plant (Tradescantia fluminensis) is one of them. The ASPCA lists this plant as toxic to both dogs and cats, and notes that all parts of the plant contain toxins that can cause gastrointestinal upset. Symptoms of ingestion include vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, and lack of appetite.

If your cat ingests any part of this plant, it’s important to seek veterinary care immediately.

What are the Symptoms of Toxicity in Cats

There are a number of symptoms that may indicate toxicity in cats, including vomiting, diarrhoea, lethargy, loss of appetite, and increased thirst. More serious symptoms include seizures, coma, and death. If you suspect your cat has ingested something toxic, it is important to seek veterinary help immediately.

How Do I Treat a Cat That Has Been Poisoned by This Plant

There are a few different types of plants that can be poisonous to cats if ingested. Some of the more common poisonous plants include lilies, tulips, and azaleas. If you suspect that your cat has been poisoned by a plant, it is important to take them to the vet immediately.

Symptoms of plant poisoning in cats can include vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, weakness, and seizures. Treatment will vary depending on the type of plant your cat has ingested and how much they have eaten. In some cases, hospitalization may be necessary in order to treat your cat properly.

Is There Anything I Can Do to Prevent My Cat from Being Poisoned by This Plant

There are a few things you can do to prevent your cat from being poisoned by this plant. The first is to keep the plant out of reach of your cat. If you have the plant in your home, put it in a room that your cat does not have access to.

You can also try spraying the plant with a bitter tasting spray like bitter apple or lemon juice. This will deter your cat from chewing on the plant. Finally, if you think your cat has ingested any part of the plant, call your veterinarian immediately.

What's inside FACEBANK?


No, piggy back plant is not toxic to cats. In fact, this plant is actually beneficial for cats as it helps to repel fleas and other insects. However, the plant can cause vomiting and diarrhea if ingested in large quantities, so it’s important to keep an eye on your cat if they’re playing with the leaves or flowers.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top