Is Plum Toxic to Cats?

Yes, plum is toxic to cats. The toxicity is due to a compound called cyanogenic glycoside, which breaks down into hydrogen cyanide when the fruit is chewed or swallowed. Symptoms of cyanide poisoning include difficulty breathing, weakness, dizziness, and collapse.

If your cat has eaten a plum, watch for these symptoms and call your veterinarian immediately if any occur.

No, plum is not toxic to cats. However, the pits of plums can be dangerous if swallowed, as they can block a cat’s digestive tract. So, it’s best to keep your kitty away from the pits and sticks to eating the fruit itself.

Is Plum Toxic to Cats?


Is Plum Toxic to Cats

No, plum is not toxic to cats. However, the pit or stone of the plum fruit can be harmful if ingested. Symptoms of ingestion include vomiting and diarrhea.

If your cat ingests a plum pit, contact your veterinarian immediately.

What are the Symptoms of Plum Toxicity in Cats

There are a variety of symptoms that can be seen in cats when they have Plum toxicity. The most common symptom is vomiting, which can occur within hours of eating the fruit. Other symptoms include diarrhea, lethargy, loss of appetite, and abdominal pain.

In severe cases, Plum toxicity can lead to kidney failure and death. If you suspect your cat has eaten any Plums, it is important to contact your veterinarian immediately.

How Can I Prevent My Cat from Eating Plums

If you’re wondering how to prevent your cat from eating plums, the answer is simple: don’t let them have access to plums in the first place. Just like with any other food that you don’t want your cat to eat, keep plums out of reach and make sure they can’t get into any plum trees or bushes. If you have a backyard, consider fencing off the area where the plum tree is located.

Cats typically aren’t attracted to plums anyway, so there’s no need to go out of your way to keep them away from this fruit. However, if you do have a particularly curious or determined kitty, it’s best to be safe and take precautions.

What Should I Do If My Cat Has Eaten a Plum

If your cat has eaten a plum, the first thing you should do is call your veterinarian. Plum pits contain cyanide, which can be toxic to cats. Even if your cat does not seem ill, it’s important to have him checked out by a professional to make sure he hasn’t ingested any toxins.

What Succulents Are Safe For Cats and Dogs?? | Toxic & Non-toxic Succulents| Pet Friendly Succulents


No, plum is not toxic to cats. However, the pits of plums contain cyanide, which can be poisonous if ingested. If your cat eats a plum pit, it may experience symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, and difficulty breathing.

If you think your cat has eaten a plum pit, contact your veterinarian or local animal hospital immediately.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top