Is Rabbits Foot Fern Toxic to Cats?

Rabbits Foot Fern is a beautiful, unique plant that’s easy to care for. However, it’s important to know that it can be toxic to cats if they ingest it. The fern contains compounds called saponins, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea in cats.

If your cat ingests the fern, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Rabbits Foot Ferns (Pteris cretica) are a common houseplant, but many people don’t realize that they can be toxic to cats. The fern contains an irritant called saponin, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea if ingested. Even small amounts of the plant can be dangerous to cats, so it’s important to keep them away from your Rabbits Foot Fern.

If you think your cat has eaten any part of the plant, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Is Rabbits Foot Fern Toxic to Cats

No, rabbits foot fern is not toxic to cats. This plant is actually considered non-toxic to both humans and animals by the ASPCA. However, it is important to keep in mind that all plants contain some level of toxins and that ingestion of any plant material can lead to stomach upset in your cat.

If you notice your cat chewing on or eating any part of this plant, simply offer them a different toy or food item to distract them.

How Can I Keep My Rabbit Foot Fern Healthy

Rabbit Foot Ferns are a beautiful and popular houseplant, but they can be finicky. Here are some tips to help you keep your Rabbit Foot Fern healthy: -Place your fern in an area with bright, indirect light.

too much sun will scorch the fronds, while too little light will cause the plant to become leggy. -Water your fern regularly, keeping the soil moist but not soggy. Allow the top few inches of soil to dry out between watering.

-Fertilize monthly during the growing season (spring and summer) using a half-strength liquid fertilizer. -Trim off any brown or yellow leaves as needed. Dead leaves can harbor pests or diseases, so it’s best to remove them promptly.

Why are the Leaves of My Rabbit Foot Fern Turning Brown

If the leaves of your Rabbit Foot Fern are turning brown, it is likely due to one of three reasons: too much sun, not enough humidity, or a potassium deficiency. Too Much Sun Rabbit Foot Ferns are native to humid, shady environments and do not do well in direct sunlight.

If the leaves of your fern are turning brown and crispy, it is probably because they are getting too much sun. Move your plant to a shadier spot and see if that helps. Not Enough Humidity

Ferns love humidity! If the air in your home is dry (especially during the winter months when heating systems are running), it can cause the leaves of your fern to turn brown and crispy. Try misting your fern regularly or setting it on a pebble tray filled with water to help increase the humidity around it.

You can also try using a humidifier in your home.

Rabbit's Foot Fern


No, rabbits foot fern is not toxic to cats. This plant is actually considered to be a safe houseplant for both cats and dogs. The ASPCA includes rabbits foot ferns on their list of plants that are non-toxic to animals.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top