Red African Violet (Saintpaulia ionantha) is a beautiful houseplant that is unfortunately toxic to cats. All parts of the plant are poisonous, but the flowers and leaves are the most dangerous. If your cat ingests any part of a red African violet, they may experience vomiting, diarrhea, and difficulty breathing.
In severe cases, ingesting this plant can lead to death. If you have a red African violet in your home and you also have a cat, it’s important to keep them away from each other.
No, red African violets are not toxic to cats. In fact, they are actually quite beneficial to them! Cats love the soft, velvety texture of the leaves and the bright color is sure to catch their eye.
The plant is also known to help with respiratory problems in cats so if your feline friend has a stuffy nose, this could be a great natural remedy.
Is Red African Violet Toxic to Cats
No, red African violets (Saintpaulia ionantha) are not toxic to cats. In fact, they are not toxic to any animal. These popular houseplants are safe for everyone in your family, including your pets.
How Can I Keep My Cat Safe from Red African Violet
If you’re like most cat parents, you want to keep your feline friend safe and healthy. One plant that can pose a threat to cats is the red African violet (Saintpaulia ionantha). All parts of this plant are poisonous to cats if ingested, and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, lethargy and tremors.
If you suspect your cat has eaten any part of a red African violet, call your veterinarian or local animal emergency clinic immediately.
What are the Symptoms of Red African Violet Toxicity in Cats
There are a few symptoms of red African violet toxicity in cats. They may experience vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain. In severe cases, they may have difficulty breathing and their heart rate may increase.
If you think your cat has ingested any part of a red African violet, it is important to take them to the vet immediately.
Are African Violets Edible
No, red African violets are not toxic to cats. However, the plant can cause mild stomach upset if your cat eats too much of it. If you have a red African violet in your home, make sure to keep it out of reach of your cat.