Is Red Berried Greenbrier Or Coral Greenbrier Toxic for Cats?

Many people are unaware that the common greenbrier, also known as Smilax rotundifolia, is actually a member of the lily family. All members of the lily family are toxic to cats if ingested. The symptoms of toxicity include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and kidney failure.

In some cases, ingestion of small amounts of these plants can be fatal to cats. If you have a cat and suspect that they may have eaten any part of a greenbrier plant, it is important to seek veterinary care immediately.

There is some debate over whether or not red berried greenbrier (also known as coral greenbrier) is toxic for cats. Some sources say that it is, while others claim that it is not. The truth probably lies somewhere in between, as the toxicity of this plant depends on a number of factors, including the age and health of the cat, as well as the amount consumed.

If your cat does eat red berried greenbrier, watch for signs of illness, such as vomiting or diarrhea. If you notice any of these symptoms, contact your veterinarian immediately. In most cases, treatment will be fairly straightforward and your cat should make a full recovery.

Is Red Berried Greenbrier Or Coral Greenbrier Toxic for Cats?


No, Red Berried Greenbrier And Coral Greenbrier are Not Toxic for Cats

No, red berried greenbrier and coral greenbrier are not toxic for cats. These plants are in the same family as poison ivy and oak, but they do not contain the same harmful compounds that can cause allergic reactions in humans. Cats may be attracted to these plants because of their bright colors, but they are not harmful to them.

Best Way to Kill Unwanted Vines


If you have a cat that likes to nibble on plants, you may be wondering if red berried greenbrier or coral greenbrier is toxic for them. The short answer is no, these plants are not toxic for cats. However, there are some caveats to keep in mind.

First of all, while the plants themselves are not poisonous, the berries can be mildly irritating to your cat’s stomach if they eat too many of them. If your cat does eat a lot of berries, they may experience vomiting or diarrhea. If this happens, simply offer them some bland food and plenty of water and they should be fine within a day or two.

Secondly, while the plants are not poisonous, the thorns on them can be sharp and painful if your cat scratches themselves with them. So it’s best to keep these plants out of reach of your feline friend.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top