Is Red Maple Toxic to Cats?

Red maple is a popular ornamental tree, prized for its bright red leaves in autumn. But did you know that red maple is toxic to cats? The leaves and twigs of the red maple tree contain toxins that can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and other serious health problems in cats.

If your cat ingests any part of a red maple tree, it’s important to seek veterinary care immediately.

If you have a cat, you may be wondering if red maple is toxic to them. The answer is yes, red maple is indeed toxic to cats. Symptoms of toxicity include vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, and lethargy.

If your cat ingests any part of a red maple tree, call your veterinarian immediately.

Is Red Maple Toxic to Cats

No, red maple is not toxic to cats. In fact, it is often used as a safe alternative to other trees that are toxic to cats, such as yews and oaks. However, all trees contain some level of toxins and so it is important to supervise your cat if they are chewing on any kind of tree branch.

What are the Symptoms of Toxicity in Cats

There are several symptoms of toxicity in cats, including vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, loss of appetite, and weight loss. More serious symptoms include seizures, tremors, and paralysis. If your cat is exhibiting any of these symptoms, it is important to seek veterinary care immediately.

How Can I Prevent My Cat from Being Exposed to Red Maple Toxins

Red Maple trees (Acer rubrum) are a common sight in many yards and neighborhoods across the United States. They are beautiful, with their bright red leaves in the fall, but they can be dangerous for cats. The tree’s sap contains toxins that can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and even death if ingested by your cat.

Here are some tips to help keep your feline friend safe from Red Maple toxicity: -Keep your cat indoors when the tree is actively producing sap. This is typically in late winter/early spring or during a hot, dry spell in summer/fall.

-If you have a Red Maple tree on your property, consider fencing off the area around it to prevent access by your cat. -If you see your cat chewing on or playing with any part of a Red Maple tree, immediately wash their mouth out with water and contact your veterinarian.

What Should I Do If I Think My Cat Has Been Poisoned by Red Maple

If you think your cat has been poisoned by red maple, it is important to seek professional medical help immediately and bring them to the vet. If you have the container of poison or know what they ate, please take this with you or find out the name and active ingredients. There are many products on the market that contain red maple and it is important to give your vet as much information as possible.

Blood may need to be taken for clotting tests and to assess for anemia. Treatment will be based on symptoms and how severe they are. In some cases, hospitalization may be necessary for intensive treatment such as intravenous fluids and blood transfusions.

Gumball | Darwin's Potato Diet | The Potato | Cartoon Network


No, red maple is not toxic to cats. However, the plant does contain saponins, which can cause gastrointestinal upset if ingested in large quantities. If your cat is prone to nibbling on plants, it’s best to keep them away from red maples.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top