Is Ribbon Plant Toxic to Cats?

Ribbon plant, also known as ribbonweed or lanceleaf, is a fast-growing annual weed that is common in gardens and lawns. The Ribbon Plant is not native to North America and was first introduced here in the early 1800s. It is now found throughout the United States.

The ribbon plant can grow up to four feet tall and has long, narrow leaves that are green or red in color. The plant produces small white flowers that bloom in summer. Ribbon plants are poisonous to cats and can cause serious health problems if ingested.

If you have a cat, it’s important to be aware of which household plants are toxic to them. Ribbon plant (Dracaena sanderiana) is one such plant. All parts of the plant are poisonous to cats, and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and even death if ingested.

If you suspect your cat has eaten any part of a ribbon plant, contact your veterinarian or emergency animal hospital immediately.

Is Ribbon Plant Toxic to Cats

No, ribbon plant is not toxic to cats.

What are the Symptoms of Ribbon Plant Toxicity in Cats

Ribbon plant toxicity in cats can present with a variety of symptoms depending on the amount of plant ingested and the individual cat’s sensitivity. The most common symptom is vomiting, which may be accompanied by diarrhea, lethargy, and lack of appetite. In more severe cases, ribbon plant toxicity can cause seizures and respiratory distress.

If you suspect your cat has eaten any part of a ribbon plant, it is important to seek veterinary care immediately as treatment is generally supportive and symptomatic.

How Can I Prevent My Cat from Eating Ribbon Plants

If you have a Ribbon Plant in your home, it’s important to be aware that the plant can be poisonous to cats if they eat it. Symptoms of toxicity include vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, and weakness. If you think your cat has eaten any part of the plant, it’s important to take them to the vet immediately.

There are no specific treatments for Ribbon Plant toxicity, so symptomatic and supportive care will be provided by your veterinarian. Prevention is always the best medicine, so make sure to keep your Ribbon Plant out of reach of curious kitties!

What Should I Do If My Cat Ingests a Ribbon Plant

If your cat ingests a Ribbon Plant, the first thing you should do is call your veterinarian. The Ribbon Plant is a poisonous plant that can cause gastrointestinal upset and even death in cats. Your vet will be able to advise you on the best course of treatment for your cat.

Don't be Fooled- White Ribbon Plant is NOT an Aquatic Plant


If you have a cat, you may be wondering if ribbon plant is toxic to them. The answer is yes, ribbon plant can be toxic to cats if they eat it. Symptoms of poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, and difficulty breathing.

If your cat has eaten ribbon plant, call your veterinarian or the Pet Poison Helpline immediately.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top