Is Saw Brier Toxic for Cats?

Saw Brier (Smilax spp.) is a native, woody vine that climbs trees and shrubs or sprawls across the ground. It’s found throughout the southeastern United States. The plant has sharp thorns and produces small, black berries.

All parts of the plant are not poisonous to animals if ingested. Symptoms of saw brier poisoning include gastrointestinal upset, tremors, seizures, and death.

There’s a lot of debate over whether or not saw brier is toxic for cats. Some people say that it can be harmful, while others claim that it’s perfectly safe. So, what’s the truth?

The jury is still out on this one, but there are some things to consider. Saw brier does contain a chemical called saponin, which can be toxic if ingested in large quantities. However, most cats would have to eat a very large amount of saw brier before they’d be at risk for any serious health problems.

If you’re concerned about your cat ingesting saw briers, it’s best to err on the side of caution and keep them away from it. If you have any questions or concerns, please consult with your veterinarian.

See Also  Is Algaroba Toxic to Cats?
Is Saw Brier Toxic for Cats?


Is Saw Brier Toxic for Cats

No, saw brier is not toxic for cats. However, the plant does contain thorns which can cause irritation if they come into contact with your cat’s skin. If your cat ingests any part of the plant, they may experience gastrointestinal upset.

What are the Symptoms of Saw Brier Toxicity in Cats

There is no definitive answer to this question as the symptoms of saw brier toxicity in cats can vary depending on the severity of exposure and individual reaction. However, some common signs that your cat may be experiencing saw brier toxicity include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, loss of appetite and difficulty walking. If you believe your cat has come into contact with saw brier or any other potentially toxic plant, it is important to seek veterinary care immediately.

See Also  Is Alyssum Toxic to Cats?

How Can I Prevent My Cat from Coming into Contact With Saw Brier

If you have a cat that spends time outdoors, you may be wondering how to prevent them from coming into contact with saw brier. Saw brier is a type of plant that can cause irritation and even injury if your cat brushes up against it. Here are some tips to help keep your feline friend safe:

1. Keep them away from areas where saw brier grows. If you know there are patches of this plant in your yard, make sure your cat has a different place to play and explore. 2. Inspect them for signs of exposure after they’ve been outside.

If you see any redness or swelling on their skin, gently wash the area with soap and water. 3. Make sure they’re up-to-date on their vaccinations. Some types of plants can cause more serious reactions in cats who are not vaccinated against certain diseases.

See Also  Is Zinnia Toxic to Cats?

4. Consider using a topical repellent on your cat before they go outside.

What Should I Do If My Cat Does Come into Contact With Saw Brier

If you think your cat has come into contact with saw brier, it is important to seek professional medical help immediately. Saw brier can cause serious health problems for cats, including liver damage, kidney damage, and gastrointestinal issues.

Best Way to Kill Unwanted Vines


Saw brier, also known as smilax, is a common plant that grows in the southeastern United States. It is often used as an ornamental plant, but it can be toxic to cats if they eat it. The symptoms of saw brier toxicity include vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain.

If you think your cat has eaten saw brier, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top