Is Silver Table Fern Toxic to Cats?

A silver table fern (Pteris cretica) is a beautiful, lacy plant that’s often used as a decorative indoor foliage. But this fern is poisonous to cats if they eat it. The toxic substance in the plant, saponin, can cause stomach and intestinal upset in your cat.

Symptoms of silver table fern poisoning include drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy and loss of appetite. If you suspect your cat has eaten this plant, take her to the vet immediately for treatment.

If you’re a cat owner, you may be wondering if silver table fern is toxic to your furry friend. Unfortunately, the answer is yes – silver table fern is poisonous to cats. The good news is that it takes quite a bit of ingestion for this plant to cause serious harm to your cat.

If your kitty nibbles on a few leaves here and there, they will likely be fine. However, if they eat a large amount of the plant, they could experience vomiting, diarrhea, and other gastrointestinal issues. In severe cases, silver table fern can cause seizures and death.

If you think your cat has eaten silver table fern, call your veterinarian immediately.

Is Silver Table Fern Toxic to Cats

No, silver table ferns are not toxic to cats. These beautiful plants are actually related to asparagus and make a great addition to any home – even if you have a furry friend. While the ASPCA doesn’t list them as being poisonous, it’s always best to err on the side of caution and keep these ferns out of reach of your cat.

What are the Symptoms of Toxicity If a Cat Ingests Silver Table Fern

If a cat ingests Silver Table Fern, the symptoms of toxicity may include vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, and lethargy. In more severe cases, toxicity can lead to liver damage and death.

How Can I Prevent My Cat from Ingesting Silver Table Fern

If you have a Silver Table Fern in your home, there are some things you can do to keep your cat from ingesting it. First, keep the fern out of reach by placing it on a high shelf or in a room that your cat cannot access. Secondly, monitor your cat’s behavior around the fern and if you see them trying to eat it, redirect their attention with a toy or treat.

Finally, consider getting a different type of plant for your home if you’re concerned about your cat’s safety.

Gumball | Darwin's Potato Diet | The Potato | Cartoon Network


Silver table ferns are a type of fern that is often used as a decorative plant in homes. While they are not poisonous to humans, they can be toxic to cats if ingested. Symptoms of silver table fern toxicity in cats include vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy.

If you think your cat has eaten a silver table fern, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top