Velvet plants are a type of houseplant that is popular for their fuzzy, soft leaves. However, velvet plants are poisonous to cats and can cause a number of serious health problems if ingested. Symptoms of velvet plant poisoning in cats include drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and difficulty breathing.
If you suspect your cat has eaten a velvet plant, it is important to seek veterinary care immediately as the symptoms can be life-threatening.
Velvet plants (Gynura sarmentosa) are popular houseplants that are often used in hanging baskets or as groundcover. They are native to tropical Asia and have long, velvety leaves that are typically green or purple. While velvet plants are not toxic to cats, they can cause gastrointestinal upset if ingested.
Symptoms may include vomiting, diarrhea, and appetite loss. If you suspect your cat has eaten a velvet plant, contact your veterinarian immediately.
Is Velvet Plant Toxic to Cats
No, velvet plants are not toxic to cats. These plants are actually considered to be non-toxic to both humans and animals by the ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals).
What are the Symptoms of Toxicity in Cats
There are a variety of symptoms that may be seen in a cat who has been poisoned or has ingested a toxic substance. These can range from mild to severe, and in some cases, may be life-threatening. Some of the more common signs of toxicity in cats include vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, lack of appetite, lethargy, and weakness.
If your cat is exhibiting any of these symptoms, it is important to seek veterinary care immediately as they could indicate a serious problem.
How Can I Treat My Cat If They Ingest the Plant
If your cat ingests a plant, the first thing you should do is call your veterinarian. They will be able to give you specific instructions on how to treat your cat and what to watch for. If the plant is poisonous, your vet may recommend bringing your cat into the clinic for treatment.
What Should I Do If My Cat Shows Signs of Toxicity
If your cat is showing any signs of toxicity, it is important to seek professional medical help immediately. Symptoms of toxicity can include vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst or urination, lethargy, tremors, seizures, and even coma. If you believe your cat has ingested something toxic, please call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435 for assistance.
Bug Spray Kills Spider, Spawns Nightmare
Velvet plants are a type of houseplant that is commonly found in households with pets. While the plant is not poisonous to cats, it can cause gastrointestinal upset if ingested. If your cat ingests a velvet plant, they may experience vomiting, diarrhea, and loss of appetite.
If you suspect your cat has eaten a velvet plant, contact your veterinarian immediately.