Is Washington Hawthorn Toxic to Cats?

The Washington hawthorn (Crataegus phaenopyrum) is a small tree that is native to North America. The tree has sharp thorns and produces red fruit that is loved by birds. The tree is also known as the May-tree, Thorn-apple tree, and Hawberry.

While the fruit of the Washington hawthorn is not toxic to cats, the leaves and stems of the plant are. If your cat ingests any part of the Washington hawthorn, they may experience vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain. In severe cases, ingestion of the plant can lead to death.

If you think your cat has eaten any part of this plant, it is important to take them to the vet immediately.

There is some debate over whether or not Washington hawthorn is toxic to cats. Some sources say that it is, while others claim that it is not. However, the jury is still out on this one and more research needs to be done before a definitive answer can be given.

In the meantime, if you have a cat and are concerned about their safety, it might be best to err on the side of caution and avoid feeding them any Washington hawthorn.

Is Washington Hawthorn Toxic to Cats

No, Washington hawthorn (Crataegus phaenopyrum) is not toxic to cats. This deciduous shrub is native to North America and can be found in wooded areas throughout the eastern and central United States. It’s a popular landscaping plant because of its showy white flowers and red fruits, but it’s also attractive to wildlife like birds and butterflies.

While the fruits are poisonous to humans if eaten in large quantities, they pose no threat to cats. So feel free to enjoy this beautiful plant without worry!

What are the Symptoms of Washington Hawthorn Toxicity in Cats

Washington Hawthorn (Crataegus phaenopyrum) is a common ornamental tree that is also known as English hawthorn, mayhaw, and thornapple. All parts of the plant are toxic to cats if ingested, and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, abdominal pain, and collapse. In severe cases, Washington Hawthorn toxicity can lead to heart arrhythmias and death.

If you suspect your cat has consumed any part of a Washington hawthorn plant, contact your veterinarian or local animal emergency clinic immediately.

How Can I Prevent My Cat from Eating Washington Hawthorn

If you think your cat may be interested in eating Washington Hawthorn, there are a few things you can do to prevent it. First, keep the plant out of reach. If your cat is able to get to the plant, try covering it with foil or another material that will discourage them from chewing on it.

You can also try spraying the plant with a bitter-tasting solution designed to deter cats. Finally, make sure you offer your cat plenty of other toys and activities that will keep them occupied and away from the Washington Hawthorn.

What Should I Do If My Cat Eats Washington Hawthorn

If your cat has eaten Washington Hawthorn, the first thing you should do is call your veterinarian. This plant is poisonous to cats and can cause serious health problems. Symptoms of toxicity include vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, tremors, seizures, and death.

If you think your cat has ingested this plant, please seek professional medical help immediately.

Hawthorn Tree Facts


No, Washington hawthorn is not toxic to cats. In fact, it is a good source of vitamins and minerals for them. However, if your cat eats too much of the plant, it may experience gastrointestinal upset.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top