Is Autumn Olive Toxic to Cats?

As the weather begins to cool and the leaves start to change color, many of us begin to enjoy all that autumn has to offer. One thing that we may not think about, however, is whether or not our beloved pets can enjoy the season as well. Autumn olive is a common plant that can be found in many yards and parks, and it is also a popular choice for landscaping.

But did you know that this plant can be toxic to cats? Autumn olive (Elaeagnus umbellata) is a deciduous shrub that is native to Asia. It was introduced to North America in the early 1800s as an ornamental plant, and it has since become naturalized in many parts of the country.

This hardy shrub thrives in a variety of conditions, including full sun or partial shade, dry or moist soil, and even poor soils. Autumn olive produces small white flowers in late spring or early summer, followed by silver-colored fruits which ripen in late summer or early fall. These fruits are edible by humans and are often used in jams or jellies.

However, they can be toxic to cats if consumed in large quantities.

As the weather starts to cool down and the leaves begin to change color, we start to think about all things autumn. One of our favorite parts of the season is enjoying all the delicious seasonal fruits and vegetables that are available. However, if you have a cat, you may be wondering if Autumn Olive is safe for them to eat.

Autumn Olive is actually a shrub that produces small red fruits. These fruits are often used in jams, jellies, and other sweet treats. They can also be found in some cosmetics and skincare products.

While the fruit itself is not toxic to cats, the plant can be if they ingest it. If your cat ingests any part of the Autumn Olive plant, they may experience vomiting, diarrhea, and other gastrointestinal issues. In severe cases, it can even lead to liver damage.

So, while Autumn Olive may be a delicious treat for us humans, it’s best to keep it away from our feline friends.

Is Autumn Olive Toxic to Cats

No, autumn olive is not toxic to cats. This shrub is actually beneficial to felines, as it contains high levels of Vitamin C and other nutrients. Cats who consume autumn olive leaves or berries may experience mild gastrointestinal upset, but this is typically not harmful.

What are the Symptoms of Toxicity in Cats

If your cat is displaying any of the following symptoms, they may be suffering from toxicity: 1. Vomiting and Diarrhea 2. Excessive Thirst and Urination

3. Loss of Appetite 4. Weight Loss 5. lethargy or Depression

6. Seizures or Tremors 7. Difficulty Breathing Cats can suffer from toxicity if they ingest something poisonous, such as certain plants, chemicals or medications meant for humans.

If you think your cat has ingested something toxic, it’s important to take them to the vet immediately and bring along a sample of whatever they ate, if possible.

How Can I Prevent My Cat from Eating Autumn Olive Plants

If you have Autumn Olive plants in your garden, it’s important to take measures to prevent your cat from eating them. Autumn Olive plants contain a compound called Elaeagnin which is toxic to cats. Even if your cat only nibbles on the leaves or berries of the plant, they can still suffer from vomiting, diarrhea, and other gastrointestinal issues.

In severe cases, Elaeagnin poisoning can lead to liver damage or even death. The best way to prevent your cat from eating Autumn Olive plants is to keep them out of reach. If you have an outdoor garden, make sure the area is fenced off so your cat can’t get to the plants.

If you have potted Autumn Olive plants inside your home, put them up high where your cat can’t reach them. And be sure to clean up any fallen leaves or berries so your cat doesn’t accidentally ingest them. If you think your cat has eaten Autumn Olive plants, it’s important to seek veterinary care immediately.

Symptoms of Elaeagnin poisoning can take a few hours or even days to develop, so don’t wait until your cat is visibly ill before seeking help. With prompt treatment, most cats will recover completely from Elaeagnin poisoning.

What Eating Autumn Berries Taught Me: Dustin Kelly


Autumn olive is a shrub that is native to Asia. It was introduced to the United States in the 1800s as an ornamental plant. The berries of the autumn olive are high in vitamins A and C, and they are often used in jams and jellies.

However, some people believe that the berries are toxic to cats. There is no scientific evidence to support this claim, and autumn olives have been safely consumed by humans and animals for centuries. However, it is always best to err on the side of caution when it comes to your pet’s health.

If you are concerned that your cat may have eaten autumn olive berries, please contact your veterinarian immediately.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top