Is Cliff Brake Toxic to Cats?

The Cliff brake is a common fern found in North America. It’s scientific name is Pellaea atropurpurea. The plant can grow up to two feet tall and has dark green, leathery leaves.

The Cliff brake is considered poisonous to cats and dogs if ingested.

There is some controversy over whether or not cliff brake is toxic to cats. Some say that it can be harmful, while others claim that it is safe. Here’s what we know:

Cliff brake (Pteris vittata) is a fern that is native to Asia and Australia. It has been introduced to North America, where it is considered an invasive species. The plant contains compounds that are toxic to animals, including cats.

Symptoms of cliff brake toxicity include vomiting, diarrhea, and tremors. In severe cases, the toxins can cause liver damage and death. If you have a cat, it’s best to err on the side of caution and keep them away from cliff brake.

If you suspect that your cat has ingested any part of the plant, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Is Cliff Brake Toxic to Cats

No, cliff brake is not toxic to cats.

What are the Symptoms of Cliff Brake Toxicity in Cats

If your cat ingests Cliff Brake, also known as Pteris Multifida, they may experience vomiting, diarrhoea, drooling, excessive urination and weakness. If you believe your cat has ingested this plant, take them to the vet immediately.

How Can I Prevent My Cat from Coming into Contact With Cliff Brake

There are a few things you can do to prevent your cat from coming into contact with Cliff Brake. The first is to keep your cat indoors. If you must let your cat outdoors, make sure they have a safe area to stay in that is away from any cliff brake plants.

You can also train your cat to stay away from certain areas of your home where the plant is located. Finally, make sure to keep any cliff brake plants out of reach of your cat, either by keeping them out of the house altogether or by putting them in a place where your cat cannot get to them.

What Should I Do If My Cat Has Come into Contact With Or Ingested Cliff Brake

If your cat has come into contact with Cliff Brake, the first thing you should do is rinse the area with warm water. You can then use a mild soap to gently clean the area. If your cat has ingested Cliff Brake, it is important to seek professional medical help immediately as this plant can be toxic to cats.

Why Ticks Are So Hard To Kill


Many people are unaware that the pretty little plant known as Cliff Brake can be toxic to cats. All parts of the plant are poisonous, but the leaves are especially dangerous. If your cat ingests even a small amount of this plant, it can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and an inability to urinate.

In severe cases, it can lead to liver damage and death. So if you have a Cliff Brake in your home, make sure your kitty stays away from it!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top