Is Common Snapdragon Toxic to Cats?

Of all the flowers in your garden, you may be wondering if common Snapdragon (Antirrhinum majus) is toxic to cats. The good news is that it’s not! All parts of the plant are safe for kitty to eat.

There’s a lot of debate on whether or not common Snapdragon (Ocimum tenuiflorum) is toxic to cats. Some say that it is, while others claim that it’s perfectly safe. So, what’s the verdict?

Unfortunately, there isn’t a clear answer. Common Snapdragon contains a compound called linalool, which can be toxic to cats in large quantities. However, most plants only contain a small amount of linalool, so it’s unlikely that your cat will get sick from eating a few leaves.

If you’re concerned about your cat ingesting common Snapdragon, you can always err on the side of caution and keep them away from the plant. There are plenty of other safe and non-toxic plants out there for them to enjoy!

Is Common Snapdragon Toxic to Cats

No, common Snapdragon ( Latin name: Antirrhinum majus) is not toxic to cats. All parts of the plant are considered safe for felines if ingested.

What are the Symptoms of Snapdragon Toxicity in Cats

There are a few symptoms of Snapdragon toxicity in cats. The most common symptom is vomiting. Other symptoms may include lethargy, lack of appetite, and diarrhea.

If your cat ingests any part of a Snapdragon plant, it is important to contact your veterinarian immediately.

How Can I Prevent My Cat from Being Poisoned by Snapdragon

If you have a cat, it’s important to be aware of the potential for poisoning. Snapdragon ( also called dragon flowers or toadflax) are beautiful flowering plants that can be found in many gardens. However, all parts of this plant are poisonous to cats if ingested, and can cause serious health problems including vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, incoordination and seizures.

If you suspect your cat has eaten any part of a Snapdragon plant, take them to the vet immediately. There is no specific antidote for Snapdragon poisoning in cats, so treatment will be based on supportive care and may include IV fluids and oxygen therapy. Prevention is the best approach when it comes to keeping your cat safe from this potentially deadly plant – keep Snapdragon plants out of your garden entirely, or make sure they are kept well away from areas where your cat spends time.

What Should I Do If I Think My Cat Has Been Poisoned by Snapdragon

If you think your cat has been poisoned by Snapdragon, it is important to act quickly and seek professional medical help. The most common symptoms of Snapdragon poisoning in cats are vomiting and diarrhoea, but it can also cause seizures, tremors and cardiac arrhythmias. If you suspect your cat has eaten any part of a Snapdragon plant, or if they are showing any of the above symptoms, please contact your veterinarian immediately.

Top 5 Plants Safe for Cats (And 5 To Avoid!)


A common Snapdragon (Antirrhinum majus) is not toxic to cats, according to the ASPCA. However, the plant can cause gastrointestinal upset if consumed in large quantities.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top