Is Crape Myrtle Toxic to Cats?

Crape myrtle is a popular landscaping shrub due to its showy flowers and drought tolerance. However, many people are unaware that crape myrtle is actually toxic to cats. The toxins in the plant can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and even death if ingested in large enough quantities.

Even small amounts of the plant can cause irritation to a cat’s mouth and digestive system, so it’s best to keep them away from it entirely. If you have a crape myrtle in your yard, make sure to keep your cats away from it or remove it entirely to prevent any potential accidents.

As lovely as they are, crape myrtles can be dangerous to cats if ingested. The ASPCA lists them as toxic to both dogs and cats, and while the toxicity is considered mild, it can still cause vomiting and diarrhea. If your cat enjoys chewing on plants, it’s best to keep them away from crape myrtles.

Is Crape Myrtle Toxic to Cats

No, crape myrtle is not toxic to cats.

What are the Symptoms of Toxicity in Cats

There are a variety of symptoms that may indicate toxicity in cats. Some common signs include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, loss of appetite, and abdominal pain. More serious symptoms can include seizures, tremors, and paralysis.

If you suspect your cat has ingested a toxic substance, it is important to seek veterinary care immediately.

How Can I Treat My Cat If It Has Been Exposed to Crape Myrtle

If your cat has been exposed to crape myrtle, it is important to seek professional medical help immediately. The toxic sap of the crape myrtle can cause severe irritation and burns to a cat’s skin and eyes. If your cat has come into contact with the plant, rinse its skin and eyes with cool water for 15 minutes.

Be sure to keep any open wounds clean and dry to prevent infection. If your cat ingests any of the plant, it can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, and difficulty breathing. Contact your veterinarian or local emergency clinic immediately if these symptoms occur.

What Should I Do If I Think My Cat Has Ingested Crape Myrtle

If you think your cat has ingested crape myrtle, the first thing you should do is call your veterinarian. Crape myrtle can be toxic to cats and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and other gastrointestinal issues. If your cat is showing any of these symptoms, it is important to get them to the vet right away for treatment.

Q&A – How do I remove crape myrtle without using toxic chemicals?


If you have a cat and are considering adding a crape myrtle to your landscape, you may be wondering if the plant is toxic to cats. The good news is that crape myrtles are not toxic to cats. However, the sap from the plant can cause stomach upset if ingested in large quantities, so it’s best to keep your kitty away from the sap.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top