Is Creeping Charlie Toxic to Cats?

Creeping Charlie is a common weed that can be found in many yards. It has pretty small flowers that can be either purple or white. Even though it’s pretty, you may not want it in your yard if you have pets.

That’s because Creeping Charlie is toxic to cats and can make them very sick if they eat it. The good news is that it takes quite a bit of the plant for a cat to get sick, so if you keep your yard clear of this weed, your cat should be safe.

Creeping Charlie, also known as ground ivy, is a common lawn weed in the United States. Many people consider it a nuisance, but did you know that this plant can actually be toxic to cats? While the toxicity of Creeping Charlie is relatively low, it can still cause gastrointestinal upset in cats if they ingest it.

Symptoms may include vomiting, diarrhea, and lack of appetite. If you suspect your cat has eaten any part of this plant, it’s important to contact your veterinarian right away. Fortunately, there are many ways to get rid of Creeping Charlie without using harmful chemicals.

So if you have a feline friend at home, be sure to keep this weed out of your yard!

Is Creeping Charlie Poisonous to Cats

Yes, Creeping Charlie is poisonous to cats. The plant contains saponins, which are toxic to cats if ingested. Symptoms of poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy.

If you suspect your cat has eaten any part of a Creeping Charlie plant, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Can Cats Eat Creeping Charlie Plants

Yes, cats can eat Creeping Charlie plants. This plant is not poisonous to them and they will not experience any ill effects from consuming it. However, it is important to note that this plant does contain small amounts of saponins.

These compounds can cause mild gastrointestinal upset in some cats if consumed in large quantities. If you notice your cat eating a lot of Creeping Charlie, it is best to monitor their stool for any changes in consistency or frequency.

Is Creeping Charlie Dangerous to Cats If Ingested

Yes, creeping charlie (or ground ivy) can be dangerous to cats if ingested. The plant contains saponins, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea in cats. In severe cases, ingestion of the plant can lead to dehydration and even death.

If you suspect your cat has eaten any part of a creeping charlie plant, it’s important to take them to the vet immediately for treatment.

Are Your Plants Safe or Toxic For Your Cat?


Yes, Creeping Charlie (Glechoma hederacea) is toxic to cats if they eat it. All parts of the plant are poisonous, but the leaves are the most toxic. Symptoms of poisoning include drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, and tremors.

If your cat has eaten any part of this plant, contact your veterinarian or local animal hospital immediately.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top