Is Nematanthus Spp. Toxic to Cats?

Nematanthus spp. is a beautiful flowering plant that is commonly kept as a houseplant. However, there are some reports of cats becoming sick after consuming this plant.

It is not clear if the plant is actually toxic to cats or if the sickness is due to other factors, such as eating the leaves or stems which can cause gastrointestinal upset.

Nematanthus spp. is a tropical plant that is sometimes kept as a houseplant. It is also known as the goldfish plant, because of its flowers that resemble goldfish.

Nematanthus spp. is toxic to cats if ingested. Symptoms of toxicity include vomiting, diarrhea, and drooling.

If you suspect your cat has ingested this plant, please contact your veterinarian or the Pet Poison Helpline immediately for treatment recommendations.

Is Nematanthus Spp

Toxic to Humans Nematanthus spp. is a genus of flowering plants in the family Gesneriaceae, native to tropical America.

Many species are grown as ornamental plants for their colorful flowers. Some species are: Nematanthus gregarious, Nematanthus wettsteinii, and Nematanthus brachypus. The toxicity of Nematanthus spp.

has not been extensively studied in humans, but they are known to contain toxic compounds such as alkaloids and saponins. These compounds can cause gastrointestinal upset if ingested, and contact with the plant can cause skin irritation. Therefore, it is best to avoid contact with these plants if you are pregnant or have young children who might put the plants in their mouths.

Toxic to Cats

There are many substances that are toxic to cats, and it is important to be aware of what these are in order to keep your feline friend safe. Some of the most common toxins that can be harmful to cats include: • Chocolate – Chocolate contains a substance called theobromine, which can be poisonous to cats in high enough doses.

Symptoms of chocolate toxicity include vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, seizures, and even death. • Coffee – Like chocolate, coffee also contains theobromine as well as caffeine. Both of these substances can be dangerous for cats, causing symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, rapid heartbeat, and tremors.

In severe cases, coffee toxicity can lead to death. • Grapes and raisins – While the exact substance that makes grapes and raisins toxic to cats is unknown, ingestion of either of these fruits can cause kidney failure in felines. Symptoms of grape or raisin toxicity include vomiting, lethargy, and loss of appetite.

If left untreated, grape/raisin poisoning can be fatal. • Onions and garlic – These common kitchen staples contain thiosulphate which can damage a cat’s red blood cells if ingested in large quantities. This can lead to anemia (lowered oxygen levels in the blood) and potentially death if not treated promptly by a veterinarian.

Cats may show signs of onion or garlic toxicity including weakness/lethargy/collapse , pale gums , orange urine , or difficulty breathing . • Antifreeze – Antifreeze contains ethylene glycol which is very sweet-tasting but extremely poisonous for cats (and dogs). Even small amounts of antifreeze ingestion can result in kidney failure so it is important to keep this substance well out of reach from curious kitties!

Early signs that a cat has consumed antifreeze may include uncoordinated movement , excessive thirst or urination , vomiting , or seizures . If you suspect your cat has ingested any amount of antifreeze seek veterinary attention immediately as treatment needs to be started as soon as possible for the best chance at recovery.

What are the Symptoms of Toxicity in Cats

One of the most common symptoms of toxicity in cats is vomiting. Other symptoms include diarrhea, lethargy, loss of appetite, and dehydration. If your cat is displaying any of these symptoms, it is important to take them to the vet immediately as they could be suffering from toxicity.

Bloodwork may be necessary to determine the cause of the toxicity and how to treat it effectively.

How Can I Prevent My Cat from Being Exposed to This Plant

If you have a cat, it’s important to be aware of the plants in your home that may be poisonous to them. One such plant is the lily. Lilies are common in bouquets and arrangements, but they can be deadly to cats if ingested.

Even small amounts of lily pollen can cause kidney failure in cats. If you suspect your cat has eaten any part of a lily, call your veterinarian or animal poison control immediately. There are several ways you can prevent your cat from being exposed to lilies:

Pet Friendly Plants with Dr. Benz


Although the jury is still out on whether or not Nematanthus spp. is toxic to cats, there are some compelling arguments for why it might be. For one, this plant contains saponins, which can cause gastrointestinal upset in cats if ingested.

Additionally, Nematanthus spp. contains a chemical called coumarin, which is known to be toxic to cats in high doses. Finally, this plant also contains numerous small sharp spines that could potentially puncture a cat’s digestive tract if ingested.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top